There are thousands of bicycle riders in St. Louis who use this form of
transportation to get around instead of cars. In many places, these riders
use the same roads and streets as other motor vehicles, such as cars and
trucks. Not only are bicyclists usually unable to travel as quickly as
these motor vehicles, but they lack the forms of protection that drivers
in these vehicles have due to the exterior of the car and the presence
of airbags. When a bike rider is involved in an
accident with a car, it can be scary and the rider may experience personal injury.
Steps Following a Bike Accident
When a bicyclist is involved in an accident in a
crash with a car or other motor vehicle, it is important that they follow some steps aimed
at maximizing their rights, recovering from their injuries, and obtaining
compensation from the after-effects of this collision.
Following a bike accident with a car, you should:
- Wait for the police to arrive in order to file a police report.
- Don’t speak with or negotiate with the driver of the car.
- Provide a thorough detail of events and your injuries into the police report.
- Get the contact and insurance information of the driver that hit you.
- Speak with witnesses and get their contact information.
- Write down your version of events as soon as possible for reference.
- Seek medical attention for any injuries, even minor, and take photos.
- Preserve evidence, such as the damaged bike, clothing tears, and cracked helmet.
- Speak with a bike accident attorney as soon as possible.
It is important to follow these steps to encourage maximum legal protection.
In many instances, the adrenaline pumped into the body after an accident
prevents you from recognizing the extent of the damage to your body, and
a minor injury can become a serious concern down the road. Following these
steps can provide some of the legal cushioning that you may need when
proving your case with the help of an experienced personal injury attorney
at Millikan Wright, LLC.
There may be many legal issues to wade through following a bicycle accident.
Speaking with a St. Louis personal injury lawyer can help you sort these
out, explain your legal rights, and guide you on the next best steps to
take. Many insurance companies will attempt to decrease the money that
you are owed- your injuries deserve more!
Schedule your free case consultation with our team to learn how we can make a difference in your case.