© 2018 Millikan Wright, LLC | All Rights Reserved

Common Questions About Car Accidents

St. Louis Car Accident Attorneys Explain What You Want to Know

Injured drivers can feel overwhelmed with the amount of paperwork and trauma (both physical and mental) they have to deal with after the accident. There are many questions the injured driver may have about their situation and their legal options.

Below we have taken the time to answer come of the most commonly asked questions we get. Take some time to look through our answers below and give us a call for more information!

What should I do after being involved in a car accident?

After an accident, make sure you fully cooperate with the police. If your insurance company shows up, you are not required to answer any of their questions or sign any papers. Let the automobile accident attorneys at Millikan Wright, LLC handle all of that. There are some more useful tips below if you're ever in an accident.

After an accident you should immediately:

  • Check for personal injuries and passenger injuries
  • Call 911 or have a passenger call 911
  • Turn your emergency flashers on and put out cones or safety flares
  • Collect information from the other driver and all witnesses (note the relation of the driver to the owner of the vehicle as stated on the registration)
  • Make notes about details of the accident
  • Don't leave the scene before the police and the other driver
  • Make sure you have the police report number and the insurance information of all the vehicles involved
  • If you are or a passage is injured, go directly to the hospital for treatment

What should I know about being in a car accident?

Automobile accidents can take a toll on you financially, especially if you were injured. Insurance does cover some of these accidents and injury situations and if the other driver is at fault, you're also entitled to compensation from his/her insurance company. However, actually collecting that compensation can be a difficult process. Insurance companies want to minimize what they pay out to preserve stockholder equity; this can put you in a difficult situation.

Here's some helpful information if you're ever involved in a car accident:

  • You must give statements to the police officers but you are not required to give any statements to the insurance company investigators
  • Insurance company investors are not on your side
  • Your insurance company may discourage you from contacting an accident and injury situation lawyer
  • Insurance companies have their own lawyers looking out for them so you should have the same

Do I sue the at fault driver, even if I have car and health insurance?
Since your insurance may not cover all your expenses so, you should sue the other driver for compensation. In addition, the at fault driver purchased insurance for just this person. Don't feel bad about exercising your rights and receiving the compensation you deserve.

Does the at fault driver even have insurance?
This question should be answered at the time of the accident. However, if there's any doubt whether liability insurance was active at that time, ask your St. Louis personal injury attorney.

What happens if the at-fault driver is uninsured?

In Missouri, the law only requires a driver to maintain a $25,000 policy. In many cases, this minimum requirement is not enough to cover a person's medical bills in situations where they are injured in an auto accident. Many people are not aware of the option to purchase underinsured motorist coverage (UIM coverage).

If you have underinsured motorist coverage and are involved in an accident, contact the Missouri personal injury attorneys at Millikan Wright, LLC prior to settling with an insurance company.

How much will I receive if I am successful and when will I get it?
The compensation amount you receive for your personal injuries can vary, but judgments and settlements typically range from a few thousand dollars to a few million dollars. There are different funding processes in which you can receive your money through. The normal timeline is a few months to a few years after the case is resolved. However, all of this depends on your case.

Do I need the services of an automobile accident lawyer who can sue the at fault driver for me?
Yes, you should use the services of an experienced St. Louis personal injury attorney. At Millikan Wright, LLC, we will fight for your compensation rights if you've been injured in an automobile accident and the other driver is at fault. Our services are risk free since you owe us nothing if you don't collect compensation.

Hear From Our Previous Clients

"I have used Millikan Wright several times throughout the years, as well as my family, and have never been left unsatisfied. Brian Millikan has helped me through a few things and made the entire process as smooth as possible. I would recommend this firm for any needs that you may have, they are very professional and ..."
Read More

Request A Free Consultation

Fill out the form below to get in contact with one of our attorneys at Millikan Wright LLC.